Ebola deaths in Uganda rise to four: Department of Health

KAMPALA: A total of four people have died from the highly contagious Ebola virus in Uganda, where authorities declared an outbreak earlier this week, health officials said on Friday.

“Three new deaths have been recorded,” the health ministry said in a statement, raising the death toll from one to four after reporting the country’s first death from the virus since 2019 on Tuesday.

The total number of confirmed cases now stands at 11 after four more infections were confirmed in the past 24 hours, officials said.

It wasn’t immediately clear if the 11 cases included the four deaths.

“The Ministry of Health’s rapid response teams remain on site to list and follow up contacts with the confirmed cases,” it said, calling for increased vigilance.

Authorities on Tuesday declared an outbreak in central Mubende district and announced the death of a 24-year-old man.

Uganda, which shares a porous border with the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), has experienced multiple Ebola outbreaks, most recently in 2019 when at least five people died.

The Democratic Republic of Congo recorded a new case in its violence-stricken east last month, less than six weeks after an epidemic in the country’s northwest was declared over.

Ebola is an often fatal viral hemorrhagic fever. The mortality rate is usually high, up to 90 percent in some outbreaks, according to the World Health Organization.AFP